Backup database

wesee

29 Aug, 2016 10:02 AM

Hello, we are about to go live with our site and I'm concerned about backing up the data. We are using a shared SQL database. Is Appharbor doing any kind of backup? Or can I backup my database? If so, what tool/procedure should I use? Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rune on 30 Aug, 2016 08:37 PM

Hi,

Happy to help! The shared SQL Server databases do have backups in place, but these are only used for disaster recovery scenarios -- i.e. a disk failure or similar. You can't trigger backups or restore with the shared database service at this time. Instead I'd recommend that you migrate to a dedicated option if you intend to run a production app on AppHarbor -- the shared database servers will have variable performance and be less available, and we don't support production apps on shared db servers for the same reason. AppHarbor offers dedicated SQL server instances (new plans coming up soon if you're interested) but the starting price for those is $200/month. I don't know your budget, but that's a pretty large jump from your current plan.

Have you considered just using AppHarbor for your application hosting and then sign up for and use a dedicated SQL server instance from Amazon? The AWS RDS service is managed and pretty effortless to use while offering higher flexibility with a lower entry price for SQL server instances (starting at around $15/month). While AppHarbor's shared database servers can offer higher peak performance than the entry-level RDS instances it's usually more desirable to have consistent, reliable performance from dedicated resources to serve production apps, as well as more flexibility over for instance backups.

RDS is pretty effortless to set up and integrates well with AppHarbor -- you just need to configure the RDS security group with the configuration outlined in this KB article.

Best,
    Rune

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AppHarbor please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac