Archived Support Site

This support site is archived. You can view the old support discussions but you cannot post new discussions.

Deployment feature idea...

Jason

03 Apr, 2011 05:54 PM

Hello AppHarbor,

Being that you're doing well to support much of the "built-in" items of an asp.net web application, one item that I tend to like especially during a deployment is the built in feature of ~/App_Offline.htm file.

If in your admin pages you had a page with a big text box where we could put any text/html in there that could be used as an App_Offline.htm page. And then you'd give us a toggle style button (Take Offline | Bring Online). I think this could really be beneficial while doing say database maintenance or other upgrades.

Right now I know that I can commit an App_Offline.htm file, push it up and wait for it to automatically get deployed. This is time consuming, and a bit annoying to be cluttering up my git commits with "adding app offline"..."removing app offline"... etc.

Thoughts?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rune on 07 Apr, 2011 04:05 PM

Hi Jason,

I love the idea and we've actually thought about it before - I can promise you that it will be implemented and we definitely see the need for it. Whenever you want the site to go into offline mode we would set it up with our load balancer.

We've actually considered extending the concept to error pages as well, so you could upload a page for whatever HTTP error codes you want to show a pretty error page for.

Until it's implemented feel free to add it as a feature request on http://feedback.appharbor.com

Thanks!
    Rune

2. rune closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2011 04:05 PM.

3. Jason re-opened this discussion on 07 Apr, 2011 04:30 PM

4. 2 Posted by Jason on 07 Apr, 2011 04:30 PM

5. friism closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2011 07:16 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AppHarbor please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac