Why isn't aspnet:UseHostHeaderForRequestUrl true by default?

sbrown13

08 May, 2013 04:47 PM

Hello,

As I'm sure many users have, I ran into the issue where a port number is incorrectly included in absolute URLs generated by the framework. I found this KB article and quickly threw in the new app setting. But then I wondered why this isn't just taken care of for you by App Harbor by default, i.e. AppHarbor automatically includes the setting if not present in the build process. Is there some reason for it? Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by rune on 09 May, 2013 12:50 AM

Hi,

That's a good question. We actually tried to make it the default a while back, but unfortunately a lot of apps are not compatible with this setting. Particularly WCF apps had problems with this configuration. That's the reason we reverted the change and added it to the KB article instead.

Introducing new defaults is almost always a bit tricky considering the volume and diversity of the apps deployed to AppHarbor. We're considering various other approaches to alleviate the issues related to running an IIS app in a load balanced setup, and more generally, presenting recommended configurations that can optionally be selected when creating the app.

Best,
    Rune

2. rune closed this discussion on 09 May, 2013 12:50 AM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AppHarbor please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac