Database backup

chrisr

06 Aug, 2012 10:31 AM

Would you be able to make available a database backup file from Thursday 2nd August?

I realise that these are not normally available, but a customer lost some key data on Friday and I need to recover as much data as I can.

Rather than restore the database, would it be possible to make the backup file available to download? Or restore to a temporary database?

This has highlighted a big weakness with AppHarbor for me, the only way of exporting data from an AppHarbor database is by using the SqlServerBackupCopy console application. This obviously requires me to have my own SQL Server database up and running, for manual backups that is not an issue, but for automated backups it would be. Ideally I would like to be able to export a backup file to S3, or download it to a local machine. From this support discussion back in February last year it looked as though this was coming, any update? Without a way of getting access to the database backups and restoring from a backup I can't really see how I can use an AppHarbor database in a production app.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by friism on 07 Aug, 2012 08:48 PM

Hi Chris, the databases are not backed up individually (the storage volumes are snapshotted daily), so I'm afraid we can't provide you with a backup.

I'm sorry we haven't gotten around to implementing standard database backups - people seem to get buy either using the script database wizard or the bulk-copy tool, but it's something we should do.

Michael

2. 2 Posted by chrisr on 07 Aug, 2012 10:02 PM

OK, I'm going to have to look at moving my databases off your shared SQL Server (Nano) add-on until you get backups in place.

Chris

3. chrisr closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2012 10:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac