How to handle background tasks on AppHarbor environment?

Arman

10 Nov, 2011 11:59 AM

I'm currently running my .net solution on an EC2 instance. Since ASP.NET projects aren't really suitable for on going threads I've pushed all background tasks onto a Windows Service and using Quartz.net library I schedule tasks and they get invoked. I'm thinking of trying AppHarbor but I have a couple of questions first:

1. How are background tasks handled here. Can my Windows Service code or it's variation be deployed on App Harbor?
  2. How can I inspect the performance of the app. EC2 can show detailed graphs for CPU and RDS instance usage. Do you have something like it?
  3. Is it possible to FTP to my instance or does App Harbor force me to deploy only through pushing changes to the GIT repository even for small changes?

Thanks in advance

1. 1 Posted by balexandre on 10 Nov, 2011 12:16 PM

Background jobs are not currently available although AppHarbor team is working on implementing it.

What I'm doing is make use of MomentApp to schedule my jobs and it's been running fine.

At least is something working while not official support.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by friism on 10 Nov, 2011 05:19 PM

Hi Arman

1) Bruno's suggestion is good. Another option is to run your own EC2 micro instance with your background job.

2) Currently, you can use Glimpse or add your own performance monitoring. We're working on adding additional performance monitoring though.

3) You can't use FTP. Note that we also integrate with Bitbucket for Mercurial support, if you're not happy with Git. If you wanted to, you could probably build your own FTP deploy bridge by using AppHarbor build URLs.

Michael

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by rune on 09 Mar, 2012 04:16 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that we now have background workers available in beta.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Rune

4. rune closed this discussion on 09 Mar, 2012 04:16 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac